Minnesota: Woman Paralyzed by E. Coli Settles With Agribusiness Company
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
A woman who was left paralyzed from an E. coli infection after eating tainted hamburger has reached a settlement with the agribusiness giant Cargill Inc. The settlement was announced Wednesday by Stephanie Smith of Cold Spring and Cargill. The terms were confidential, but both sides said the settlement would provide for Ms. Smith’s care throughout her life. A statement said Cargill acknowledged responsibility when it first learned of her injuries and had provided financial help to her and her family. Ms. Smith, a former children’s dance instructor, was the subject of a New York Times article that spurred Congress to consider tougher food safety laws and was the centerpiece of a body of work that won a Pulitzer Prize this year.